Translating for the State Language Department

If you are an American Citizen and you are interested in translating for the US Department of State, you can apply as a freelance translator for the State Language Department. Applications are reviewed according to the language needs of the Department of State. If your application is approved you will have the opportunity to go take their language test. I did this last week, partly because I was interested in working for them, and partly because I, as a grader for the ATA English into Swedish certification, was interested in experiencing their testing. For more information on working as a freelance translator for the State Language Department you can go to and click on Employment Opportunities.


If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!


  1. Thanks for sharing this valuable information.. Just a small question do they also require Translators in Indian languages eg Hindi, tamil etc. Although i did not gone through there website yet.

    • Thanks! You will have to check their website or contact them to find out about Indian languages, but I assume they do. Good luck!

Speak Your Mind